Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mount Holly Station Mount Holly
Mount Holly Station
Mount Holly Station, a depot on the Northeastern Railroad between Florence and Charleston, was built here about 1853. It was named for nearby Mount Holly Plantation, carved out of Thorogood Plantation shortly before the American Revolution by John Deas, Jr. ( 1761-1790), a planter and state representative. The railroad tracks crossed the main oak avenue to the plantation, just south of the station and platform.
Otranto ( or Porcher) was the next station toward Charleston, 19 mi. SSE. After the Civil War this vicinity, which kept the name Mount Holly, was a predominantly white rural community, in contrast to black rural communities nearby at Casey, Howe Hall, and Liberty Hall. Rice plantations were replaced by subsistence farms worked by families, tenants, or sharecroppers. Mount Holly was incorporated into the City of Goose Creek when it was created in 1961.
Erected 2009 by The Goose Creek Tea Ladies. (Marker Number 8-53.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 33° 1.743′ N, 80° 2.1′ W. Marker is in Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Goose Creek Boulevard (U.S. 52), on the right when traveling south. Located at the Municipal Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 519 North Goose Creek Boulevard, Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Indian Trading Paths / The Goose Creek Men (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Medway Plantation (approx. 0.6 miles away); Springfield Plantation (approx. 0.6 miles away); Thorogood Plantation / Mount Holly Plantation (approx. 0.7 miles away); Casey (Caice) (approx. 0.8 miles away); Button Hall (approx. 1.8 miles away); Eighteen Mile House Tavern (approx. 1.9 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goose Creek.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,407 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 24, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.