Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wheeling in Ohio County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Lewis and Clark

 
 
Lewis and Clark Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Heather Crawford, August 11, 2007
1. Lewis and Clark Marker
Inscription.  
Meriwether Lewis arrived here on 7 September 1803 on first leg of trip to explore and study lands, natural features and resources, waterways, and animal life of West. Noted Fort Henry, procured second pirogue to transport supplies, picked up goods hauled from Pittsburgh and wrote to President Jefferson. Rested here 8 September and departed the following day down the Ohio River.
 
Erected 2000 by West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationForts and CastlesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, the Lewis & Clark Expedition, and the West Virginia Archives and History series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is September 7, 1803.
 
Location. 40° 3.933′ N, 80° 43.425′ W. Marker is in Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. Marker is at the intersection of 14th Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on 14th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wheeling WV 26003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capitol Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Oglebay Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Schmulbach Brewery (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheeling (within shouting distance of this marker); Pocket Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bayha Bakery (about 300 feet away); Stone & Thomas Department Store (about 300 feet away); Augustus Pollack (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeling.
 
Also see . . .
1. Meriwether Lewis Visits Wheeling, 1803. Ohio County Public library website entry (Submitted on February 1, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 

2. Meriwether Lewis’ grave. Find A Grave website entry (Submitted on September 9, 2007, by Heather Crawford of Newark, Ohio.) 

3. William Clark’s grave. Find A Grave website entry (Submitted on September 9, 2007, by Heather Crawford of Newark, Ohio.) 
 
Marker can be seen in the distance at the corner of Main and 14th streets. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Heather Crawford, August 11, 2007
2. Marker can be seen in the distance at the corner of Main and 14th streets.
Parking garage is next to the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2007, by Heather Crawford of Newark, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,024 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2007, by Heather Crawford of Newark, Ohio. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2378

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024