Dickinson in Stark County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Klinefelter Hall (Scott Hall)
1932
Local Landmark and
National Register of Historic Places
Erected by Dickinson Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1932.
Location. 46° 52.895′ N, 102° 48.033′ W. Marker is in Dickinson, North Dakota, in Stark County. It is on Campus Drive just north of 2nd Street West, on the left when traveling north. The marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, on the right side of the front/east entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 233 Campus Drive, Dickinson ND 58601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is on North Dakota’s Missouri Plateau. It is also in the American Lewis & Clark Corridor, on the prairies, and on the Northern Plains. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once Ruperts Land and also the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Stickney Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); May Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); SPC Jon Paul Fettig (approx. half a mile away); The Man (approx. Ύ mile away); The Place (approx. Ύ mile away); The Speech (approx. Ύ mile away); Stark County Veterans Memorial (approx. Ύ mile away).
Regarding Klinefelter Hall (Scott Hall). Contributing Property, Dickinson State Normal School Campus District, National Register of Historic Places #97000285.
From the National Register Nomination:
Klinefelter Hall was built in 1931-32 as a U-shaped, approximately 65' x 140', flat-roofed dormitory having three stories and a raised basement. Faced with brick veneer (over structural steel), the former dormitory has contrasting stone trim which provides Tudor Revival elements. These include quoins for window surrounds and other trim, watertable and course, and a fine molded double door entrance having six small rosettes and a drip mold.
First occupied the spring quarter of 1932, the building was originally known as South Hall, reflecting its location on the south end of the campus. In 1953 it was renamed Klinefelter Hall in recognition of the more than 40 years of administrative service to the school by Maude Klinefelter. Because it was difficult to alter small dormitory rooms to meet modern classroom requirements, the hall stood vacant for several years. However, in 1996-97 Klinefelter Hall was renovated to meet current educational needs, including handicapped-accessible large classrooms, an art gallery, faculty offices, and an auditorium.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Dickinson State Normal School Campus District
Also see . . .
1. Dickinson State Normal School Campus District (Wikipedia). Excerpt:
The Dickinson State Normal School Campus District in Dickinson, North Dakota is a 16-acre historic district that has work dating to 1922. It includes Tudor Revival architecture. It has also been known as Dickinson State Teachers College, Dickinson State College, and Dickinson State University.(Submitted on December 22, 2023, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. May, Stickney, and Klinefelter Halls (Society of Architectural Historians).
Excerpt:
Three Collegiate Gothic campus buildings of similar scale and function are particularly handsome. Constructed of brick with stone details, stone quoins, and Tudor-arched entrances, they stand in a row below Sentinel Butte.(Submitted on December 22, 2023, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2023, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 22, 2023, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.




