Iva in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Moffettsville / Moffettsville Postmaster Appointments
At this site once stood the town of Moffettsville, originating with the establishment of Moffett's Mills Post Office on February 16, 1818. By 1883, the town had a population of twenty-five with a physician and general store. Mail service here was discontinued in 1901.
James H. Davidson Feb. 16, 1818
John Simpson July 15, 1822
Andrew Milligan May 16, 1826
Archibald Simpson Dec. 7, 1826
Joel H. Berry May 17, 1838
William Sherard April 23, 1842
Robert A. Reid May 21, 1866
Thomas A. Sherard June 5, 1890
William T.A. Sherard Oct. 8, 1895
Discontinued Sept. 30, 1901
Erected 1980 by Anderson County Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina, Anderson County Historical Association/Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1811.
Location. 34° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Iva SC 29655, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Generostee A.R.P. Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Good Hope Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Good Hope Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Good Hope Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Iva Depot Mural (approx. 2.9 miles away); Iva Veterans Monument (approx. 2.9 miles away); 1965 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Iva (approx. 2.9 miles away); Lowndesville Veterans Monument (approx. 6.4 miles away); Harpers Ferry Drowning (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Iva.
Also see . . . Biography of Col. John Moffett, Namesake of Moffettsville. Col. John Moffett was born about 1741 in the Augusta Valley of Virginia and was probably the son of John and Mary Christian Moffett of that area. (Submitted on September 14, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. About the Postmasters
The lives of the individual postmasters are interesting.
John Simpson, the second postmaster (July 15, 1822 to May 16, 1826), was also a son-in-law of Moffett, being married to daughter Hannah Moffett. Simpson was the son of the Rev. John Simpson, friend of Col. Moffett and founder of the nearby Good Hope Presbyterian Church in present-day Iva, S.C. (and designated with a marker of its own).
Andrew Milligan was the third and served the shortest span of time: May 16 - December 7, 1826. He was followed by Archibald Simpson, (December 7, 1826 to May 17, 1838). Simpson was the son of postmaster John Simpson, and thus a grandson of Col. Moffett.
Joel H. Berry (May 17, 1938 to April 23, 1838) was fifth, and the first postmaster not to be related to Moffett.
William Sherard, a native of County Antrim, Ireland, was the sixth (April 23, 1842 to May 21, 1866. Sherard was a leading citizen of the area and his descendants still populate this portion of Anderson County. Sherard opened a successful store about a mile west of Moffettsville, which he operated until his death. Of the next three postmasters, two were descended from Sherard.
William T.A. Sherard was Moffettsville's ninth and final postmaster. He inherited his father and grandfather's business and continued operating it. His wealth was displayed on his 2,000 acre farm. He was also an important member of the community, serving a president of the Bank of Iva, and a strong supporter of the Moffettsville Graded School.
— Submitted January 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Small settlements sprang up along the rivers in the early pioneer days of our country's history, then extended out. Just a few miles apart, and situated along the roads, were villages such as Alice, Barnes, Dean Station, Twiggs (which became Starr), Moscow, Moffettsville, Antreville, Lowndesville, and cook's station (which was later called Iva). Generally, each village had a store, a grain mill or cotton gin, blacksmith shops, a tannery, or
— Submitted October 8, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,625 times since then and 232 times this year. Last updated on October 29, 2009, by Hendricks Sherard Davis of Princeton, United States. Photos: 1. submitted on September 29, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on January 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.