Lancaster in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lancaster, founded in 1798, was first called Lancaster Court House and later known as Lancasterville. The seat of Lancaster District from 1800 to 1868, it has been the seat of Lancaster County since then. The town and county were named for Lancaster, Pennsylvania, the home of the Scots-Irish families who moved to this part of the South Carolina backcountry by the 1750s. Lancaster was the only incorporated town in the county until after the Civil War.
The town grew rapidly as upcountry cotton production increased between 1800 and 1830, but grew more slowly for the next fifty years. Lancaster, revitalized by the arrival of the railroad in the 1880s and the rise of the textile industry in the 1890s, was described as “delightful and flourishing” in 1900. The Lancaster Downtown Historic District, a collection of significant public and commercial buildings, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Erected 2004 by Lancaster County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 29-26.)
Topics. This historical Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
Location. 34° 43.065′ N, 80° 46.17′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West Arch Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster SC 29720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Springs Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Leroy Springs House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Jail / Robert Mills (about 700 feet away); Thomas H Davis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancaster County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancasterville Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County (approx. ¼ mile away); Lancaster & Chester Railway (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Also see . . . Lancaster Downtown Historic District. Beginning in the 1880s, a number of commercial buildings were constructed (Submitted on June 5, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 986 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 5, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 7, 8. submitted on June 5, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.