Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kershaw in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Kershaw's First Library

 
 
Kershaw's First Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Sean Nix, October 28, 2009
1. Kershaw's First Library Marker
Inscription.  This building, originally just south of Kershaw on what is now U.S. Hwy. 521, was built in 1900 for Capt. James V. Welsh (1845-1906) as the office for J.V. Welsh & Sons, a lumber mill. It later housed Kershaw’s first circulating library, founded by the McDowell Music Club, from its creation in 1934 until a new library was built in 1949. The building, moved to this site in 2001, serves as the office for the Stevens Foundation.
 
Erected 2002 by Stevens Foundation and the Kershaw Centennial Commission. (Marker Number 29-24.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
 
Location. 34° 32.844′ N, 80° 34.986′ W. Marker is in Kershaw, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is on South Cleveland Street, 0.1 miles south of West Marion Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kershaw SC 29067, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welsh's Station / Kershaw Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Kershaw
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. one mile away); Beaver Creek Skirmish / Capture of Provisions at Flat Rock (approx. 4 miles away); Haile Gold Mine (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Battle Of The Hanging Rock (approx. 4.7 miles away); James Ingram Home (approx. 5.3 miles away); Battle of Hanging Rock (approx. 6 miles away); Birthplace of Dr. James Marion Sims (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kershaw.
 
Kershaw's First Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, January 18, 2012
2. Kershaw's First Library Marker
Kershaw's First Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Sean Nix, October 28, 2009
3. Kershaw's First Library
Kershaw's First Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Sean Nix, October 28, 2009
4. Kershaw's First Library
Sundial on the grounds of the building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, January 18, 2012
5. Sundial on the grounds of the building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 882 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 31, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.   2. submitted on January 18, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on October 31, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.   5. submitted on January 18, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23896

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024