Douglass in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Patricio Rancho
Photographed by Brian Anderson, January 7, 2024
1. San Patricio Rancho Marker
Inscription.
San Patricio Rancho. . William Barr and Samuel Davenport arrived in Nacogdoches by 1797 and settled on nine leagues of land called Presidio Viejo where the old Presidio Dolores was located. The traders renamed the grant San Patricio after the Irish patron Saint Patrick. Before the turn of the 19th century, the Spanish government had granted them a commission to supply the Native Americans with trade items in exchange for peltries, furs and livestock. By 1803, Barr and Davenport had a monopoly to trade with the Indians and provide food and clothing to the soldiers stationed in Nacogdoches. With the monopoly intact, they developed a series of land grants along El Camino Real on major East Texas rivers. Each location had a crossing with sufficient pasture land to provide forage for cattle and horses or land to raise corn and other crops. Each site also served as a way station for rest, protection and food for travelers. Each location was part of the overall trade network which was linked to their headquarters at Nacogdoches and extended to Natchitoches, Louisiana and the eastern markets. At times, Barr and Davenport also supplied goods as far westward as San Antonio., Various groups of Caddo Indians lived freely within the boundaries of each land grant. While the employees of Barr and Davenport often lived and conducted their trade within the distant scattered Indian villages, they used this series of land grants as centers to restock supplies. Travelers that followed El Camino Real from Nacogdoches to San Antonio or vice versa had to pass through San Patricio to cross the Angelina River. San Patricio Rancho is a true example of the rich Spanish and French history of the area.
William Barr and Samuel Davenport arrived in Nacogdoches by 1797 and settled on nine leagues of land called Presidio Viejo where the old Presidio Dolores was located. The traders renamed the grant San Patricio after the Irish patron Saint Patrick. Before the turn of the 19th century, the Spanish government had granted them a commission to supply the Native Americans with trade items in exchange for peltries, furs and livestock. By 1803, Barr and Davenport had a monopoly to trade with the Indians and provide food and clothing to the soldiers stationed in Nacogdoches. With the monopoly intact, they developed a series of land grants along El Camino Real on major East Texas rivers. Each location had a crossing with sufficient pasture land to provide forage for cattle and horses or land to raise corn and other crops. Each site also served as a way station for rest, protection and food for travelers. Each location was part of the overall trade network which was linked to their headquarters at Nacogdoches and extended to Natchitoches, Louisiana and the eastern markets. At times, Barr and Davenport also supplied goods as far westward
Click or scan to see this page online
as San Antonio.
Various groups of Caddo Indians lived freely within the boundaries of each land grant. While the employees of Barr and Davenport often lived and conducted their trade within the distant scattered Indian villages, they used this series of land grants as centers to restock supplies. Travelers that followed El Camino Real from Nacogdoches to San Antonio or vice versa had to pass through San Patricio to cross the Angelina River. San Patricio Rancho is a true example of the rich Spanish and French history of the area.
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17684.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1797.
Location. 31° 40.032′ N, 94° 52.988′ W. Marker is in Douglass, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. It is at the intersection of State Highway 21 and Farm to Market Road 225, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 21. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Douglass TX 75943, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American
Photographed by Brian Anderson, January 7, 2024
2. San Patricio Rancho Marker
Marker is the second from the right of the five markers located at the Douglass Pavilion.
South, specifically in the Deep South, and in the Piney Woods. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 7, 2024. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2024, by Brian Anderson of New Albany, Ohio. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:1, 2. submitted on January 7, 2024, by Brian Anderson of New Albany, Ohio.