Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Radford in Pulaski County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Page’s Meeting House

 
 
Page's Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Walker, October 19, 2009
1. Page's Meeting House Marker
Inscription.  One mile to the north stood this Methodist Chapel, an early one in the New River area. It was built on land given in 1795 by Alexander Page. Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the chapel in 1802 and again in 1806.
 
Erected 1957 by Virginia State Library. (Marker Number K-45.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, the United Methodist Church Historic Sites, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1795.
 
Location. 37° 8.846′ N, 80° 35.644′ W. Marker is near Radford, Virginia, in Pulaski County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Hwy (U.S. 11) and Hickman Cemetery Road/New River Road (County Route 624), on the right when traveling south on Lee Hwy. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Radford VA 24141, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Settlement (approx. 0.4 miles away); The New River (approx. 1.1 miles away); Montgomery County / Pulaski County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.1 miles away); New River Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mary Draper Ingles (approx. 1.2 miles away); Westward Migration (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Railroad Arrives (approx. 1.2 miles away); The City by the River (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Radford.
 
Page's Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Walker, October 19, 2009
2. Page's Meeting House Marker
Page's Meeting House Marker (facing north) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, April 2, 2011
3. Page's Meeting House Marker (facing north)
Page’s Meeting House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 27, 2011
4. Page’s Meeting House
On Hickman Cemetery Road about a mile from the marker. The stone marker on the right reads “Page’s Meeting House, 1795. The first Methodist Church built west of the Allegheny Mountains.”
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2009, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,556 times since then and 136 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2009, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   3. submitted on April 4, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   4. submitted on June 3, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23906

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024