Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Rose in Mercer County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell

 
 
St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 3, 2016
1. St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell Marker
Inscription.  
This twenty-two inch bell was crafted out of cast iron in 1892 by C.S.Bell&Co. The bell was placed in the St. Rose Schoolhouse east of the church, where it spent its life in a cupola until its removal in 2014. For many years, this piece of finely shaped metal rang to tell children class was about to begin for the sake of their education.

The school house was built in 1892 as an addition to St. Rose’s education system. The three quarter acre of land was purchased from Joseph Meiring. when it was constructed, the brick building was originally one room. It was later modified to have two rooms. The basic necessities for a classroom were present: including desk, chalkboards, and a stove for winter. Over all, the Schoolhouse had a seating capacity of about fifty people.

Teachers played a big role in the brick building’s history. Teachers, such as J. Pitzen, who taught from 1896- 1900, earned a salary of about forty- eight dollars a month for nine and one half months a year. paying the teachers for educating the children was costly but vital to ensure that the children of the era received a quality education. To serve the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
community more, the teachers also played organ for mass and rang the church bells. In 1957, the Marion Local School District was formed, closing St. Rose.

After the parish bought the building, it has continued to be used as a local basketball court and parish hall. Due to its poor condition and its idleness the bell was removed for restoration and put on display. The bell was placed here to enhance the glamour of the church, teach local history, and to play its wonderful tone.
 
Erected 2015 by Eagle Scout Project for Jon Knapschaefer.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list.
 
Location. 40° 24.446′ N, 84° 30.897′ W. Marker is in St. Rose, Ohio, in Mercer County. Marker is on Ohio Route 118, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7428 Route 119, Maria Stein OH 45860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Rosa Cemetery Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Maria Stein Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Maria Stein Convent Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Maria Stein Convent and Relic Chapel
St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 3, 2016
2. St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell Marker
Full view of the marker, next to the church. The schoolhouse can be seen in the background. Close examination reveals the roof curb where the former cupola holding the bell was mounted.
(approx. 2.2 miles away); St John the Baptist Catholic Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Saint John Catholic Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2˝ miles away); In Prayerful Remembrance Of The Precious Blood Missionaries (approx. 3.1 miles away).
 
St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 3, 2016
3. St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell Marker
Marker can be seen at a distance, next to the church
St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 3, 2016
4. St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell
St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 3, 2016
5. St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell Marker
Picture of the schoolhouse, with cupola intact; on the plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2024. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 387 times since then and 38 times this year. Last updated on January 8, 2024, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=239062

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024