Lexington in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The bequest of Francis Brown Hayes to the town of Lexington
Erected 1899 by Francis Brown Hayes.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 42° 26.937′ N, 71° 13.808′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Bedford Street (Massachusetts Route 225) and Massachusetts Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Bedford Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington MA 02421, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Line of the Minutemen (a few steps from this marker); Prince Estabrook (within shouting distance of this marker); Rendezvous of the Minute Men (within shouting distance of this marker); Lexington Meeting Houses (within shouting distance of this marker); Lexington Green (within shouting distance of this marker); This Flag Pole (within Buckman Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Marrett and Nathan Munroe House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Regarding Lexington Minuteman. The minuteman is portrayed as a colonial farmer holding a musket in front of him with both hands. He stands on a granite boulder with his proper left leg resting on a rocky ledge. Beneath the granite boulder is a pile of rocks and a semicircular basin originally a watering trough for horses, but now functions as a planter. A drinking fountain was also part of the original plan.
The sculpture was given to the Town of Lexington through the bequest of Francis Brown Hayes. It was sculpted by Henry Hudson Kitson (1863-1947) and dedicated April 19, 1900.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Minutemen. Minutemen were individual colonists who independently organized to form militia companies self-trained in weaponry, tactics and military strategies from the American colonial partisan militia during the American Revolutionary War. They provided a highly mobile, rapidly deployed force that allowed the colonies to respond immediately to war threats, hence the name.
(Submitted on April 11, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,866 times since then and 169 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week April 19, 2015. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 1, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.