Deerfield Township near Mason in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1922, during the infancy of broadcast radio, the call letters WLW were assigned to the station begun by Cincinnatian Powell Crosley Jr. The station moved its transmitting operations to Mason in 1928, and by April 17, 1934, WLW had permission to operate experimentally at 500,000 watts. Becoming the first and only commercial radio station to broadcast at this "superpower," WLW was formally opened at 500,000 watts by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on May 2, 1934. Using its 831-foot Blaw-Knox antenna to broadcast at ten times the power of any station, it earned the title "The Nation's Station." Locals reported hearing broadcasts on barbed wire fences, milking machines, rainspouts, water faucets, and radiators. The custom built transmitter, a joint venture between RCA, GE, and Westinghouse, remained in operation until March 1, 1939 when the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ordered the station to return to broadcasting at 50,000 watts.
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Mason Historical Society, City of Mason, Warren County Board of Commissioners, and The
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 1, 1983.
Location. 39° 21.13′ N, 84° 19.63′ W. Marker is near Mason, Ohio, in Warren County. It is in Deerfield Township. Marker is on Tylersville Road (Ohio Route 126) ¼ mile west of Reading Road (U.S. 42), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3650 Tylersville Road, Mason OH 45040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Interurban Railway and Terminal Company: Rapid Railway (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Voice of America Bethany Station (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Jain Temple in Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio (approx. 3.2 miles away); 2007 - 2011 (approx. 3.3 miles away); 1972 (approx. 3.3 miles away); 2012 - 2016 (approx. 3.3 miles away); 1973 (approx. 3.3 miles away); 1974 (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Also see . . . History of the WLW Blaw-Knox Antenna. (Submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,911 times since then and 257 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.