“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

St. Luke's Episcopal Church

St. Luke's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
1. St. Luke's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  The origin of this parish can be traced to 1704, when a log chapel known as St. Mary's was constructed on Chapel Branch in Northwest Fork Hundred. The devastating impact of the Revolution on the Church of England in America contributed to the discontinuation of services there by the early 1800s. In 1835, the Reverend Corry Chambers was sent to the Seaford area by the Diocese of Delaware. Finding St. Mary's in ruins, he organized St. Luke's from the remnants of the former congregation. Services were held for a time in Union Meeting House at High and Church Streets. This site was donated by Dr. John Gibbons, and construction of the present church was begun in 1838. On May 28, 1843, St. Luke's was formally consecrated by Bishop Alfred Lee. The church was remodeled and enlarged in 1886. Facilities were further expanded with the completion of a Parish House in 1931. Prominent citizens interred in the adjoining cemetery include William H. Ross, Governor of Delaware (1851-1855); and Edward L. Martin, member of the United States House of Representative (1879-1883). St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Church was listed in the National Register of Historic
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Places in 1977.
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-163.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionGovernment & PoliticsWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 28, 1843.
Location. 38° 38.626′ N, 75° 36.543′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Front Street (Business U.S. 13) 0.1 miles High Street, on the right when traveling north. Between King and Poplar streets, attached to the church building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor William H. H. Ross (a few steps from this marker); Forty & Eight Boxcar (within shouting distance of this marker); Killed in Action Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); Gateway to Freedom: The Tilly Escape (about 700 feet away); Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
More about
St. Luke's Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
2. St. Luke's Church
this marker.
Governor Ross is the subject of his own marker, just to the right of the church building.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,966 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2009, by Christopher T. George of Baltimore, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 27, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024