Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Metamora in Franklin County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Metamora Christian Church

 
 
Metamora Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, April 24, 2006
1. Metamora Christian Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized July 18, 1841. The oldest Christian Congregation in Franklin Co. This Church was organized as a result of a revival meeting held by Rev. Alexander Campbell, founder of the Campbellites. Services were held for a time in the upper story of the Henry Pond Residence to the East of this building. This land was donated by Mr. Pond for a church building which was dedicated on Christmas Day in 1871. The Christian congregation met in this building from 1871 till 1970 at which time they moved to their new structure in Upper Metamora.
 
Erected by Metamora Christian Church.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is July 18, 1717.
 
Location. 39° 26.798′ N, 85° 7.952′ W. Marker is in Metamora, Indiana, in Franklin County. Marker is on Lovers Lane. It's the next to the last building on the north side of the canal, going east towards the covered aqueduct. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Metamora IN 47030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Whitewater Canal State Historic Site (a few steps from this marker); Stable
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Old Faulkner-Pierce Drug Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Martindale Hotel (about 300 feet away); The Confectionary (about 300 feet away); Old Cobbler's Shop (about 300 feet away); Blacksmith Shop And Cottage (about 400 feet away); Van Camp's Store (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Metamora.
 
Also see . . .  Photos - Whitewater Canal. Metamora developed as a transportation town built around the canal traffic of its time. (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.) 
 
Metamora Christian Church Faces the Whitewater Canal image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, April 24, 2006
2. Metamora Christian Church Faces the Whitewater Canal
In the distance is the covered wooden aquaduct that caries the canal over Duck Creek. The only wood aquaduct in the U.S. still in service.
Clock tower of the church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, April 24, 2006
3. Clock tower of the church
Metamora Christian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, April 24, 2006
4. Metamora Christian Church
Metamora Christian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, April 24, 2006
5. Metamora Christian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,701 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 10, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2404

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024