Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kelleys Island in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The German Reformed Church
⎯⎯⎯
The Church Parsonage

— Old Stone Church —

 
 
The German Reformed Church side of marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
1. The German Reformed Church side of marker
Inscription.
The German Reformed Church was organized on Kelleys Island in 1865. The congregation built this church from island stone in 1866 on ½ acre of land purchased from Alfred S. and Hannah Kelley. By 1871, the congregation, one of five on the island, heard services in German and had 25 families as members, including those of Baumler, Beatty, Becker, Boker, Burger, Cattenach, Dodge, Elfers, Fischer, Gerlach, Hess, Jordon, Keifer, Lange, Nowalk, Pringnitz, Huber, Renter, Schaedler, Scheele, Smith, Stoll, Suhr, and Trieschman. Rev. A. William Von Kaske was the congregation’s last resident minister, leaving in 1915. The church’s final service, funeral for William Burger, was held in 1942. The church’s Ladies Aid Society was able to maintain the building until 1957, after which it was left vacant. The Kelley’s Island Historical Association leased the church in 1981 and was granted the deed in 1986.

The congregation of the German Reformed Church built a parsonage on land purchased for $51 from Mrs. Anne Twidney on August 8, 1888. By 1915, the island’s population and the congregation had dwindled and the latter could
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
no longer support a resident minister. The church’s trustees rented the house to the Betzenheimer family. Florence (“Sis”) Betzenheimer McKillips carried on her mother Emma’s role of caring for the German Reformed Church and parsonage even after both buildings became part of the Kelleys Island Historical Association in the 1980s. The association granted Mrs. McKillips use of the house until her death in 2013 at the age of 92. It has no running water and is serviced by a hand pump in the kitchen and an outhouse in the back yard.
 
Erected 2015 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation, Kelleys Island Historical Association, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 29-22.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
 
Location. 41° 35.919′ N, 82° 42.576′ W. Marker is on Kelleys Island, Ohio, in Erie County. It is on Division Street 0.3 miles north of West Lakeshore Drive (Ohio Route 575), on the right when traveling north. It
The Church Parsonage side of marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
2. The Church Parsonage side of marker
is at the Old Stone Church. There is a car ferry with frequent service from Lakeside Marblehead (a 34 minute ride), and a hydrofoil passenger ferry from Sandusky (a 20 minute ride). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 224 Division St, Kelleys Island OH 43438, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is on Ohio’s Lake Erie Shore and in the Western Reserve. It is also in the American Midwest, on the Great Lakes, and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: The Island House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Inscription Rock (approx. 0.4 miles away); Columbus Limestone / Kelleys Island Lime & Transport Co. (approx. 1.3 miles away); Call to Duty Salute (approx. 4 miles away); a different marker also named Call to Duty Salute (approx.
The German Reformed Church / The Church Parsonage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
3. The German Reformed Church / The Church Parsonage Marker
This view is south with Division Street on the right. The building behind the marker is the Kelleys Island Historical Association museum and gift shop.
4 miles away); a different marker also named Call to Duty Salute (approx. 4.1 miles away); Holy Assumption Orthodox Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Immigrants of Ottawa County / Holy Assumption Orthodox Church (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kelleys Island.
 
Another marker is no longer nearby. Glacial Grooves State Memorial (was approx. 1.2 miles away but has been permanently removed).
 
Also see . . .  Our Historic Buildings. Kelleys Island Historical Association website entry (Submitted on March 28, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
The German Reformed Church — Old Stone Church, Kelleys Island Ohio image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
4. The German Reformed Church — Old Stone Church, Kelleys Island Ohio
The white building on the left is the church parsonage. The plaques on either side of the church door read, “Former home of the Kelleys Island German Reformed Church, built in 1867” and “Kelleys Island Historical Association Inc., chartered in 1981.”
The Church Parsonage image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
5. The Church Parsonage
It is now a resale shop operated by the Kelleys Island Historical Association.
The German Reformed Church Interior image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
6. The German Reformed Church Interior
Cast iron stove was made by the Tappan Stove Company. It is a No. 220 Frost Killer. The organ is a Clough and Warren reed organ dating to 1893.
The German Reformed Church Interior image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
7. The German Reformed Church Interior
The back of the church and its balcony. The cylinder on the right is the cast iron stove.
World War II Memorial — God Bless Our Boys image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
8. World War II Memorial — God Bless Our Boys
Members of St. Michael’s Parish, Kelleys Island, who served in World War II. Memorial moved to this church by the historical association. It is just out of frame on the left of Photograph No. 7.

Clarence Baumler • Wayne E. Beatty • Herbert Bickley Jr. • Logan J. Bickley • Anthony Bonci • Frank H. Brown • George Durket • Michael Durket • Peter E. Durket • John Durket • Bernard Erne • Raymond E. Feyedelem • Lawrence Feyedelem • Joseph F. Feyedelem • Leroy F. Hamilton • Donald P. Lange • Howard Brown • Roland Erne • Florian Erne • Francis Erne • Michael V. Mervo • Joseph J. Mervo • Morris D. McKillips • Claude A. McKillips • Victor J. McKillips • Rogers Kurtz • John R. Perkinson • Clarence C. Perruchon • William F. Perruchon • Anthony J. Perruchon • Franklin J. Pohorence • Gilbert Riedy • Pasquale G. Richi • Francis Rudolph • Andrew Semanson • John J. Verock • John Semanson • Richard Voltz • Robert Voltz • Lawrence Walland.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 29, 2024. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 992 times since then and 38 times this year. Last updated on February 15, 2024, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 3, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
m=241149

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2026