Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stockton in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Compass Rose

 
 
The Compass Rose Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, November 1, 2009
1. The Compass Rose Marker
Inscription.  Stockton was built on land granted by the Mexican government on January 13, 1842, to German-born Charles M. Weber and his business partner and Mexican citizen, William Gulnac. Weber later became sole owner of the land, permanently settling here two years before the Gold Rush of 1849.

Inspired by his European roots, Weber commissioned the first village plan laid out in a grid pattern of streets in 1848. Aligned with the levee road along the south shore of the Stockton Channel, now known as Weber Avenue, the grid followed a natural feature, not ordinal compass directions. This compass rose is directed toward true compass north, therefore, the street grid is 11.6 degrees west of north.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical date for this entry is January 13, 1842.
 
Location. 37° 57.256′ N, 121° 17.453′ W. Marker is in Stockton, California, in San Joaquin County. Marker can be reached from North El Dorado Street. Marker is located in the center of the Dean DeCarli Waterfront Square between Center Street and North El Dorado Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stockton CA 95202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Head of Navigation (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Sister City Story (about 300 feet away); B & M Building (about 400 feet away); San Joaquin County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Weber Point Home – 1850 (about 600 feet away); Weber Point (about 600 feet away); Saint John’s Episcopal Church and Guild Hall (about 600 feet away); Tretheway Block - Argonaut Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockton.
 
The Compass Rose and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, November 1, 2009
2. The Compass Rose and Marker
The Compass Rose and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, November 1, 2009
3. The Compass Rose and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,070 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24233

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024