Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Orange in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chemistry Laboratory

Building 2

 
 
Chemistry Laboratory Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
1. Chemistry Laboratory Marker
Inscription.  In 1887 this building was one of the best-equipped chemistry laboratories in the world. Within its walls, Thomas Edison and his chemists experimented on everything from phonograph records to rubber. “Grand science, chemistry,” Edison once said, “I like it best of all the sciences.”

Beginning in the late 1890s, Edison and his staff worked for more than a decade to develop a practical storage battery for electric automobiles. After thousands of experiments, they produced a nickel-iron-alkaline battery by 1909. Although not practical for electric autos, Edison’s durable battery was used in industry, mining, and railroad applications.
 
Erected by Edison National Historic Site, National Park Service.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
 
Location. 40° 47.026′ N, 74° 14.018′ W. Marker is in West Orange, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker can be reached from Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located inside Thomas Edison
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
National Historical Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Orange NJ 07052, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pattern Shop (a few steps from this marker); Thomas Edison Statue (within shouting distance of this marker); Metallurgical Laboratory (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop – Building 7 (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Edison’s West Orange Laboratory (within shouting distance of this marker); The Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Truck of the First Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Truck of the Second Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive. (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Orange.
 
More about this marker. Two photographs appear on the marker; one depicting “Edison’s chemists at work in 1910,” and the other showing “Thomas Edison experimenting with rubber in 1929.”
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers found at the Laboratory Complex of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.
 
Also see . . .  Thomas Edison National Historical Park, New Jersey
Marker in Edison National Historic Site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
2. Marker in Edison National Historic Site
. Nation Park Service website. (Submitted on November 8, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Chemistry Laboratory and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
3. Chemistry Laboratory and Marker
Building 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
4. Building 2
Chemistry Laboratory and Building 11 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
5. Chemistry Laboratory and Building 11
This photo, taken from the courtyard at Thomas Edison National Historical Park, shows the Chemistry Laboratory (right) and Building 11.
Inside Edision's Chemistry Laboratory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
6. Inside Edision's Chemistry Laboratory
The interior of the Chemistry Laboratory appears today as it did when Thomas Edison and his employees conducted their experiments.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 823 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 8, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24242

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024