Campbell in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Campbell Fire Station
Campbell grew rapidly and the expanding fire dept. needed a larger station. In 1951, this fire station was built here at 51 N. Central Ave. This became the first building owned by the newly incorporated City of Campbell. At one time the building served as city hall and housed the fire dept., police dept., and city offices. In 1952, volunteer Chief Jack Scott was named as the City of Campbell's first fire chief.
This building was used as the main Campbell fire station for 30 years. Water hoses hung from the tower to dry after each use to prevent mildew. Today water hoses are made of nylon material that resists mildew. The fire engines were kept in the main
When the Union Avenue fire station was built in 1982, this building was no longer needed. The building was renovated so that the firefighters' living quarters were converted to offices and the garage doors were sealed, but the tower was kept as it was then. In 1983, the Campbell Historical Museum moved into the building. Now the building is designated as a local historic point of interest.
Erected by Campbell Historical Museum.
Location. 37° 17.263′ N, 121° 56.626′ W. Marker is in Campbell, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker can be reached from Civic Center Drive near North Central Avenue. Marker is located at the entrance to the museum which is located at the rear of the building off of Civic Center Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 North Central Avenue, Campbell CA 95008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fire House #1 (a few steps from this marker); Farley Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank of Campbell (Farley Building) (within shouting distance of this marker); Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank of Campbell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ainsley House Site of J.C. Ainsley Packing Company (about 500 feet away); Country Woman's Club (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campbell.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
More. Search the internet for Campbell Fire Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,047 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.