Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Clara in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

“Eberhard”

 
 
“Eberhard” Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 5, 2009
1. “Eberhard” Marker
Inscription.  One of the largest tanneries in the world, the Eberhard Tannery was part of Santa Clara’s economic life for over 100 years. Originally called the Santa Clara Tannery, in 1867 it was purchased by John J. Eberhard from his Father-In-Law. By 1904 the Eberhard Tanning Co. was doing a million dollar-a-year business and had gained renown throughout the world for its fine leather products. Demolished in 1953, today its site is part of the Santa Clara University campus.
1998

 
Erected 1998 by Santa Clara City Council Historical and Landmarks Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location. 37° 20.122′ N, 121° 57.097′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker can be reached from North Winchester Boulevard. Marker and gravesite are located at the Mission City Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 North Winchester Boulevard, Santa Clara CA 95050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rev. Isaac Owen (within shouting distance of this marker);
“Eberhard” Marker and Gravesite image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 5, 2009
2. “Eberhard” Marker and Gravesite
Click or scan to see
this page online
Captain Harry Love (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); California Wesleyan College (approx. half a mile away); Harris/Lass House (approx. half a mile away); The Berryessa Adobe (approx. half a mile away); Kiely House (approx. ¾ mile away); Landrum House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Carmelite Monastery – Bond Ranch (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Clara.
 
Also see . . .
1. Mission City Memorial Park. A downloadable self guided walking tour brochure is offered giving the burial location of many Santa Clara Pioneers and their contributions to Santa Clara’s history. (Submitted on November 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.) 

2. Eberhard Tannery. "Santa Clara was home to a large German American community from the 1870s until World War I. One of the primary draws for German immigrants was ready employment. Jacob Eberhard took over the Santa Clara tannery and made it the foundation of a thriving industrial community." (Submitted on November 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.) 
 
Additional commentary.
“Eberhard” Marker and Gravesite image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 5, 2009
3. “Eberhard” Marker and Gravesite
sectionheadg>1. John J. Eberhard
From the Mission City Memorial Park Self-Guided Walking Tour Brochure:
“Jacob was born in Germany and came to the U.S. in 1852. He first lived in Illinois where he worked as a harness maker but came to California in 1858. He worked at his trade in Sacramento but moved to Santa Clara in 1865 to buy part interest in the Santa Clara Tannery. He soon became its sole proprietor and ran a successful business for many years. He and his wife, Mary (Glein), and their 10 children lived in a three-story Italianate Revival style house at 575 Grant St. that was one of the first to have indoor plumbing and electricity. A volunteer fire company was created to protect the tannery, and that later became one of five volunteer fire companies that provided fire protection for Santa Clara until a paid fire department was formed in 1949.”
    — Submitted November 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
 
Eberhard Tannery image. Click for full size.
4. Eberhard Tannery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 967 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24255

Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2021