Santa Clara in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Santa Clara Depot
The Santa Clara Depot, built in 1864, was an original waystation on the San Francisco & San Jose Railroad Line. Originally built on the east side of the tracks, the depot was moved in 1877 to its present location so it would be on the same side of the tracks as the city and the university.
It is the oldest passenger depot still in use in California. The structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, February 28, 1985.
Restored in 1986 by South Bay Historical Railroad Society
Placed by the Historical and Landmarks Commission 1987
Erected 1987 by Historical and Landmarks Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is February 28, 1780.
Location. 37° 21.186′ N, 121° 56.191′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker can be reached from Railroad Avenue near El Camino Real (California Highway 82). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1005 Railroad Avenue, Santa Clara CA 95050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Santa Clara Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Clara Tower (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Santa Clara Interlocking Control Tower (about 400 feet away); Santa Clara Mission (about 500 feet away); Santa Clara Women’s Club Adobe (approx. ¼ mile away); Mission Santa Clara (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Changing Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Five Sites of Santa Clara de Asís Mission (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Clara.
Also see . . .
1. Santa Clara Depot. National Park Service website entry:
This depot has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on November 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
2. South Bay Historical Railroad Society. Society website homepage:
The Society is located in the historic Santa Clara (Caltrain) Depot in Santa Clara, California built in 1863. (Submitted on November 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 906 times since then and 127 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.