Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Martinez in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Contra Costa County Courthouse

1901

 
 
Contra Costa County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 8, 2009
1. Contra Costa County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  
County Seat
Since April 25, 1851

Martinez
Historical Marker
I
(Marker Number I.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNotable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is April 25, 2000.
 
Location. 38° 1.138′ N, 122° 8.081′ W. Marker is in Martinez, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Escobar Street, on the right when traveling north on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 625 Court Street, Martinez CA 94553, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Borland Home (a few steps from this marker); Martinez Public Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hook Building (about 400 feet away); 815 Marina Vista (about 400 feet away); Morgan House (about 500 feet away); Bergamini Building (about 500 feet away); Rankin Building (about 600 feet away); Southern Pacific R.R. Depot (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Martinez.
 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
sectionhead>More about this marker.
The marker is made of wood, with the face covered by a plexiglas sheet, and mounted on a wooden pole on the corner of the court house lawn.
 
Also see . . .  Walking Tour of Martinez. The Martinez Historical Society's walking tour of the historical buildings in Martinez. (Submitted on November 10, 2009.) 
 
Wide Shot of Contra Costa County Courthouse Marker and Courthoue Entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 8, 2009
2. Wide Shot of Contra Costa County Courthouse Marker and Courthoue Entrance
Sharkey Square Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 8, 2009
3. Sharkey Square Marker
Directly in front of the court house is a marker for Sharkey Square. Installed in 1954 by the Native Daughters of the American West, the plaque is to dedicated to Will R. Sharkey - publisher, legislator, and conservationist. The square, however, is now simply a widened portion of Court Street, with parking.
Contra Costa County Courthouse Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 8, 2009
4. Contra Costa County Courthouse Cornerstone
The cornerstone lists the county supervisors: J.D. Wightman, chairman, Oakley; illegible, Rodeo; J.M. Stow, Walnut Creek; E.J. Randall, Concord; R. De Martini, Clayton; J.E. Rodgers, clerk, Martinez.
Contra Costa County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 8, 2009
5. Contra Costa County Courthouse
Ray McDevitt, in Courthouses of California: An Illustrated History, notes, "...The completion of the courthouse in 1903 was celebrated with festivities that drew over 10,000 visitors (more than half the county's entire population) to downtown Martinez. The town fire truck (with the Fire Queen and her attendants) led the parade, followed by the Native Daughters of the Golden West with their white parasols, and sailors in uniform from merchant ships anchored in the harbor. Traditional oratory began at midday, a barbecue was held in the afternoon, and a banquet (held for men only) began at 10pm, featuring six types of wine, ham, turkey, crab, shrimp, Martinez olives and Cuban cigars."
Contra Costa County Courthouse Entrance - Pillars and Pediment image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 8, 2009
6. Contra Costa County Courthouse Entrance - Pillars and Pediment
The building replaced the brick Greek Revival-style courthouse built in 1855-56. It had a dome until 1957, when the dome was removed for earthquake safety, and was converted from a courthouse to the County Finance Building in the early 1960's.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 1,852 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 10, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24318

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024