Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellijay in Gilmer County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Gilmer County

 
 
Gilmer County Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 26, 2009
1. Gilmer County Historical Marker
Inscription.  Gilmer County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 out of Cherokee. Originally, it contained parts of Fannin, Dawson and Pickens Counties. The county was named for George Rockingham Gilmer (1790-1859), who served with distinction as a soldier, lawyer, legislator, Congressman and twice as Governor of Georgia. 1829-1831 and 1837-1839. First officers, commissioned March 9, 1833, were: Levi A. Hufsteller, Sheriff: Thomas M. Burnett, Clerk Superior Court: Henry K. Quillian, Clerk Inferior Court. Officers commissioned July 10, 1833 were Thomas Gutterry, Coroner, and Benjamin M. Griffith, Surveyor.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 061-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 9, 1825.
 
Location. 34° 41.714′ N, 84° 28.979′ W. Marker is in Ellijay, Georgia, in Gilmer County. Marker is at the intersection of North Dalton Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Broad Street, on the right when traveling north on North Dalton Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellijay GA 30540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. David Bailey Freeman - The Youngest Confederate Soldier (a few steps from this marker); Revolutionary War Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); Gilmer County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Hetzel (approx. 0.9 miles away); Home of Chief Whitepath (approx. 4.7 miles away); Cartecay Methodist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Oakland Academy (approx. 6.9 miles away); Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellijay.
 
More about this marker. This marker is at the location of the original Gilmer County Courthouse. The Dec. 1832 act creating Gilmer County provided that "the place where Ned Tucker recently lived" would serve as the county's initial courthouse and place for holding elections. In 1854, a new courthouse was built, which would serve the county for the next 80 years. The historic courthouse was left standing until January 2008, when it was demolished. In recognition of the memory of the old courthouse, a new county government building of similar appearance was built in its place. The new building is connected to the courthouse
Gilmer County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, February 26, 2011
2. Gilmer County Marker
Looking from the front of the courthouse at the marker and the new roundabout, which replaced the old courthouse square.
complex, but from the city square it almost appears to be a restoration of the old courthouse.
 
Gilmer County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, April 22, 2023
3. Gilmer County Marker
Gilmer County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 26, 2009
4. Gilmer County Courthouse
Gilmer County Courthouse Tablet image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, February 26, 2011
5. Gilmer County Courthouse Tablet
A tablet relating to the dedication of the new Gilmer County Courthouse in December 2008 is mounted on the front of the courthouse steps.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2009, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,597 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 10, 2009, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   2. submitted on February 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on April 25, 2023, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.   4. submitted on November 10, 2009, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   5. submitted on February 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24335

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024