Camp Wood in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the Mission San Lorenzo De La Santa Cruz
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4547.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1762.
Location. 29° 40.618′ N, 100° 0.891′ W. Marker is in Camp Wood, Texas, in Real County. Marker is on SR 55 half a mile north of Ranch Road 337, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camp Wood TX 78833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Camp Wood (here, next to this marker); Charles A. Lindbergh in Texas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dixie Settlement (approx. 3½ miles away); Site of Nix Mill (approx. 3½ miles away); The Pioneer Coalsons (approx. 3½ miles away); Camp Fawcett (approx. 4.3 miles away); General John R. Baylor (approx. 9½ miles away); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camp Wood.
Also see . . . Misson San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz. "Mission San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz was a short-lived Franciscan mission established for the Indians at a large spring on the upper Nueces River in what was then the northern border of New Spain." (Submitted on November 13, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2009, by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,497 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2009, by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.