Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valliant in McCurtain County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Clear Creek Water Mill

 
 
Clear Creek Water Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Byron Hooks, October 20, 2009
1. Clear Creek Water Mill Marker
Inscription.  Water powered grist mill in operation on Clear Creek early as 1819 by white settlers in old Miller County, Arkansas Territory. New mill built in 1837 by Choctaw Joel Kemp. A later owner, Choctaw John Wilson, replaced crude undershot wheel with turbine-type which also powered cotton gin. John Prince acquired mill site in 1909, updated machinery and replaced log dam with concrete, drilled two artesian wells and supplied water to town of Valliant for many years. Adjacent swimming pool was a favorite recreational facility. Mill ceased operation about 1944; swimming pool closed 1962. Remnants of mill remain. Tradition holds that two black slaves, Wallace and Minerva Willis, first gave voice to renowned Negro spirituals such as "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" on nearby plantation.
 
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 196.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1819.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
34° 0.38′ N, 95° 7.165′ W. Marker is in Valliant, Oklahoma, in McCurtain County. Marker is on U.S. 70 east of Oklahoma Highway N4450, on the left when traveling west. Located at the Valliant Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valliant OK 74764, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elliott Academy (here, next to this marker); Fort Towson (approx. 7.8 miles away); Fort Towson Landing (approx. 7.8 miles away); Hospital and Commissary (approx. 7.9 miles away); Barracks (approx. 8 miles away); Officers' Row (approx. 8 miles away); Dorothy Jane Orton (approx. 8 miles away); Sutler Store (approx. 8.1 miles away).
 
Clear Creek Water Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Byron Hooks, October 20, 2009
2. Clear Creek Water Mill Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2009, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,000 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2009, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24401

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024