Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fayetteville in Cumberland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Engine House (1838 - 1848)

Arsenal Park

 
 
Engine House (1838 - 1848) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., July 27, 2009
1. Engine House (1838 - 1848) Marker
Inscription.  
The engine house received its first engine in 1859 and served as the power source for the smith and gun carriage shops.
 
Erected by Museum of the Cape Fear.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceMilitary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 35° 3.234′ N, 78° 53.664′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in Cumberland County. Marker and engine house base are in Arsenal Park, between Arsenal Avenue and Branson Street, to the immediate west of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Freeway (U.S. 401). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fayetteville NC 28305, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842) (within shouting distance of this marker); Gun Carriage and Turning Shop (1842 - 1849) (within shouting distance of this marker); Southwest Tower (1849 - 1856) (within shouting distance of this marker); The "Ghost" Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); North Carolina Arsenal
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Fayetteville Arsenal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); North Carolina (about 300 feet away); Arsenal Stones (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
 
Also see . . .  Fayetteville Arsenal. (Submitted on November 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Engine House (1838 - 1848) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., July 27, 2009
2. Engine House (1838 - 1848) Marker
Engine house is first marker at right distance of photo, with the engine house foundation extending further to the left than the other stone foundations. Forging and Casting Smiths Shops marker in foreground.
Arsenal Diagram Showing Engine House Location image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., July 27, 2009
3. Arsenal Diagram Showing Engine House Location
Arsenal Diagram image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., July 27, 2009
4. Arsenal Diagram
Engine House is multi-story building at center along the distant (west) perimeter of the Arsenal.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 828 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24419

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024