Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bulfinch Gate House
under direction of
Architect of the Capitol, this gate
house stood until 1874 with another
(now at 17th and Constitution Avenue)
at the west entrance
to the Capitol Grounds.
Erected 1950 by National Capital Sesquicentenial Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 38° 53.543′ N, 77° 2.03′ W. Marker is in Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is at the intersection of 15th Street Northwest and Constitution Avenue Northwest (Route 50), on the right when traveling south on 15th Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20230, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington City Canal on the Tiber Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Live Oaks: A Gathering Place (about 400 feet away, measured Live Oaks: Specimens of Global, Scholarly and Public Research (about 400 feet away); Live Oaks: A Symbol of Strength (about 400 feet away).
More about this marker. Marker is on the Gate House facing 15th Street Northwest. Gate House is on the southwest corner of The Ellipse.
Regarding Bulfinch Gate House. Built in 1828, two sandstone guardians silently watched over the U.S. Capitol grounds until 1874. In 1889, this gatehouse and its twin, located on Seventeenth Street and Constitution Avenue (at the southeast corner of The Ellipse), were reconstructed in their present locations.
These houses have weathered several floods, water, and the effects of acid rain. On the southeast side are markers indicating the high-water marks during floods.
Also see . . . Gatehouse Sandstone Discussion. From the Stones of our Capital publication prepared by the U.S. Geological Survey. (Submitted on April 12, 2006.)
Additional keywords. Bullfinch Gatehouse
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,889 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 12, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 5. submitted on April 14, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 6. submitted on June 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 7. submitted on April 12, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.