Lakeview in Oshawa in Durham Region, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
The Hon. Gordon D. Conant 1885-1953
Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Ontario Heritage Trust series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 43° 51.848′ N, 78° 49.644′ W. Marker is in Oshawa, Ontario, in Durham Region. It is in Lakeview. It is on Simcoe Street South 0.2 kilometers south of Lakeview Park Avenue, on the right when traveling south. The marker is in Lakeview Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1446 Simcoe Street South, Oshawa ON L1H 8L1, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Greater Toronto, specifically on the Golden Horseshoe, in the York, Durham and Headwaters Area, and in the Toronto Metropolitan Area. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, on the Great Lakes, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Henry House (a few steps from this marker); Robinson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Guy House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wilson Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Scugog Carrying Place (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); Memorial Park Cenotaph (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); St. George's Church (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); Canadian Corps Association (approx. 4.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oshawa.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Gordon Daniel Conant.
On July 20, 1966, the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board unveiled a blue and gold plaque in Lakeview Park. On August 14, 1966, the plaque was stolen and a week later was found in 26 feet of water at the Oshawa Harbour by local diver Robert Stevenson. The plaque was later moved closer to Henry House (one-third of the Oshawa Museum).(Submitted on April 21, 2024, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2024. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2024, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2024, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.


