Lakeview in Oshawa in Durham Region, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
Robinson House
The Robinson family arrived in Canada in 1833 from Staindrop, England. In 1852, John Robinson and his wife Ruth (nee Tenneck) lived in a single-storey frame house west of where Robinson House now sits. John left for Iowa the following year, while Ruth stayed behind. Robinson House was constructed in the mid-1850's and Ruth resided there with her daughter Eunice's family until 1861. After Ruth's death, Eunice's family resided in the home, which later passed to Eunice's brother, Cornelius.
In 1921, the house came to be owned by (Ruth) Eunice Maynard, Cornelius's daughter. While Eunice and her family lived in Toronto, they would use the Robinson House as a vacation property. Over the next 30 years, the family visited the home less and less.
Robinson House became a mysterious place of adventure for local youth and provided shelter for unhoused people and wildlife. There were discussions about the possibility of demolition.
The Oshawa Historical Society approached the City of Oshawa to take on the restoration of Robinson House as a Centennial project. After several attempts, the City council finally agreed to the project in April 1965. Canada's Centennial in 1967 came and went, and work on the house had just begun.
On Oct. 25, 1969, Robinson House opened to the public, with more than 280 people in attendance. Many materials used to restore Robinson House are from other locally demolished historic buildings.
Today Robinson House serves as exhibition space, showcasing the collections and telling community stories of Oshawa's dynamic and diverse history.
Erected by Oshawa Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1969.
Location. 43° 51.859′ N, 78° 49.612′ W. Marker is in Oshawa, Ontario, in Durham Region. It is in Lakeview. It is on Simcoe Street South 0.2 kilometers Lakeview Park Avenue. The marker is in Lakeview Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1454 Simcoe St S, Oshawa ON L1H 8J7, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Greater Toronto, specifically on the Golden Horseshoe, in the York, Durham and Headwaters Area, and in the Toronto Metropolitan Area. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, on the Great Lakes, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Guy House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hon. Gordon D. Conant 1885-1953 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wilson Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry House (within shouting distance of this marker); Scugog Carrying Place (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); Memorial Park Cenotaph (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); St. George's Church (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); Canadian Corps Association (approx. 4.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oshawa.
Also see . . . Down on the corner: The Robinson House.
The Robinson family had arrived in Canada in 1833 by way of Staindrop, England.(Submitted on April 21, 2024, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario.)
They originally settled in Cobourg before moving to Oshawa, first near King Street and Thornton Road, then laying firm roots at the shore of Lake Ontario. In 1852, John Robinson and his wife Ruth (nee Tenneck) were living in a single-storey frame house, just west of where Robinson House now sits.
According to museum research, John left for Iowa the next year, while Ruth stayed behind.
Although there are differing opinions on who built the house, it is known that Ruth lived there in 1861 with her daughter Eunice, son-in-law Richard Welch, and their grandson.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2024. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2024, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2024, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.


