Hickory Grove in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The land on which the town of Hickory Grove developed was granted to John McKenney in 1771 by George III of England. The Hickory Grove Post Office was in operation as early as 1831, and a free public school was located here by 1851. In 1888 the Charleston, Cincinnati, and Chicago Railroad completed its line through Hickory Grove, connecting this area to coastal S.C.
At the time of its incorporation in 1888, Hickory Grove was one square mile in size, its center being the intersection of York Street and Wylie Avenue. J. N. McDill was the first intendant and Dr. J. W. Allison, J. W. Castles, T. M. Whisonant, and J. H. Wylie were wardens. The Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church maintained its orphanage here from 1897 until 1905.
Erected 1981 by York County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 46-16.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina, York County Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1771.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hickory Grove SC 29717, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hickory Grove Schools (within shouting distance of this marker); Unity Academy (approx. 0.8 miles away); Town of Smyrna (approx. 4½ miles away); First National Bank of Sharon (approx. 4.6 miles away); Town of Sharon / Sharon (approx. 4.7 miles away); Town of Sharon Stone Marker (approx. 4.7 miles away); Dickey - Sherer House (approx. 5.2 miles away); Blairsville Schools (approx. 6 miles away); Bullock Creek Revolutionary War Monument (approx. 8.4 miles away); Bullock Creek Presbyterian Church (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hickory Grove.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Hickory Grove, South Carolina. Hickory Grove is a town in York County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 337 at the 2000 census. (Submitted on January 9, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,056 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 15, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.