Near Sharon in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bullock Creek Presbyterian Church
Under leadership of Dr. Joseph Alexander, pastor 1774-1801, this church, organized in 1769, was a Whig stronghold during the Revolution.
Three hundred yards west is the site of one of the earliest academies in upper South Carolina, established in 1787 by Dr. Alexander.
One and one half miles southwest is the site of Dr. Alexander's home, used as a hospital during the American Revolution.
Erected 1938 by Kings Mountain Chapter-Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 46-2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1769.
Location. 34° 51.414′ N, 81° 24.66′ W. Marker is near Sharon, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is on Lockhart Road (State Highway 49) 0.3 miles north of Bonner Horton Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7445 Lockhart Rd, Sharon SC 29742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within Bullock Creek Revolutionary War Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lacey's Fort (approx. 3.6 miles away); Dickey - Sherer House (approx. 4˝ miles away); Blairsville Schools (approx. 4˝ miles away); First National Bank of Sharon (approx. 7.7 miles away); Town of Sharon / Sharon (approx. 7.8 miles away); Town of Sharon Stone Marker (approx. 7.8 miles away); Hickory Grove Schools (approx. 8.4 miles away); Hickory Grove (approx. 8.4 miles away); Unity Academy (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharon.
More about this marker. Bullock's Creek was the first region settled in present-day York County. The church cemetery and some ruined buildings are all that remain from this early settlement.
1. The Rev. Joseph Alexander, D.D. (d. July 30, 1809)
The Rev. Dr. Joseph Alexander was graduated at the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in 1760 and was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Castle in 1767. The same year he was installed pastor of the Sugar Creek Presbyterian Church, in North Carolina, where he established a classical school. In a few years he became pastor of Union Church, S.C., where he remained until 1773, when he was installed pastor of Bullock's Creek Church and continued as pastor until 1801. He died, July 30, 1809. (Source: Presbyterian Heritage Center: Biographical Index of Ministers.)
2. Bullock Creek as a Whig Stronghold
After the fall of Charleston in 1780, discouraged patriots gathered at old Bullock Creek Church in York County to discuss whether the should surrended to the british in what seemed a hopeless struggle. Dr. Joseph Alexander, Presbyterian minister, teacher, and physician, was fired by the challange, and through his inspiring oratory encouraged the Americans to resist. Soon afterward came the victories of Musgrove's Mill, Kings Mounrain, and Cowpens, in which members of this congregation participated. (Source: South Carolina: A Guide to the Palmetto State by the Federal Writers Project, pg 100.)
— Submitted January 4, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,303 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.