Niagara-on-the-Lake in Niagara Regional Municipality, Ontario — Central Canada
Niagara on the Lake Historical District
In 1778, Loyalist refugees began crossing from Fort Niagara to settle the west bank of the Niagara River. A town was laid out in a grid pattern of four-acre blocks and grew quickly, gaining prominence as the first capital of Upper Canada from 1792 to 1796. Following Niagara’s destruction during the war of 1812, the citizens rebuilt, mainly in the British Classical architectural tradition, creating a group of structures closely related in design, materials, and scale. Spared from redevelopment, the town’s colonial buildings eventually became one of its greatest resources. Beginning in the 1950s, residents rehabilitated and restored the old structures, demonstrating an exceptional commitment to the preservation of local heritage and making a significant contribution to the conservation movement in Canada. This collection of residential, commercial, ecclesiastical and institutional buildings, many on their original sites close to the street, is the best-preserved in Canada build between 1815 and 1859. With its early buildings and grid street plan, this historic district recalls the era when Niagara-on-the-Lake
(Right side is in French)
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Landmarks • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1778.
Location. 43° 15.305′ N, 79° 4.303′ W. Marker is in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, in Niagara Regional Municipality. Marker is on Queen Street. The plaque is located on the court on Queen street near the King Street intersection. There are various other plaques on this same building, but someone decided to plant a tree in front of one of them. (see pictures). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 26 Queen Street, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Kirby (a few steps from this marker); Niagara Apothecary (within shouting distance of this marker); Niagara Agricultural Society (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Town of Niagara (about 90 meters away); Niagara Historical Society (about 90 meters away); John Graves Simcoe (about 120 meters away); First Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada (about 120 meters away); Bicentennial of First Parliament (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2009, by Lora Szloh of Berea, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,293 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2009, by Lora Szloh of Berea, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.