Russia in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saint Remy Catholic Church
⎯⎯⎯
The Village of Russia
Saint Remy Catholic Church. In 1839, Bishop John Baptist Purcell recruited European priests to minister to his Ohio flock. Father Louis Navarron, a young French missionary, was appointed to the French Catholic population of Darke and Shelby Counties in the area now marked by the villages of Russia, Versailles, and Frenchtown. St. Valbert, a centrally-located log church, was dedicated in December 1840 by Bishop Purcell to serve the region. In Russia, a log chapel was dedicated on Jean Jacques DeBrosses farm in 1846. Parish boundary lines were established in 1850, Precious Blood priests arrived, and a new church was dedicated to Saint Remigius in August 1852. As the congregation grew, so did the church buildings. The current Saint Remy Catholic Church, built between 1891-1892, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The Village of Russia. The Village of Russia (pronounced ROO-she) began with the arrival of French Catholic immigrants from the region of France previously known as Alsace-Lorraine. Local lore attributes the name to early residents noting similarities in the areas winter landscape to that of European Russia. Lewis Phillip purchased the land and sold plots where the village was later platted. In 1853, he built a house and established a store. Other businesses followed, including dry goods stores, a blacksmith shop, a sawmill, and grain elevators. A post office was established in September 1860 and Arsaine Pigney served as the first postmaster. The 1870 Federal Census was the first to officially reference Russia. Incorporated with the State of Ohio in 1967, the Village of Russias first mayor, Leo Herman Francis, was sworn in on June 12, 1968.
Erected 2023 by Village of Russia; Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 7-75.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Religion & Religious Structures • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 40° 14.045′ N, 84° 24.472′ W. Marker is in Russia, Ohio, in Shelby County. It is on East Main Street (County Road 13) just west of School Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker stands in Russia Veterans Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 East Main Street, Russia OH 45363, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Ohio’s Till Plains. It is also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Shelby County Veterans Who Died While Serving Their Country (a few steps from this marker); Russia Veterans Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Lady of Lourdes Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Matt Zircher (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Denis Parish (approx. 3 miles away); St. Denis Parish - St. Valbert Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Ward Park (approx. 4 miles away); Mr. Foy's Cow (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Russia.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2024. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2024, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 30, 2024, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 1, 2024, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.






