Charles Town in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Old Stone House / Star Lodge No. 1
Old Stone House. Star Lodge No. 1 and Queen of the Valley Lodge No. 1558, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, two African-American fraternal organizations, bought Old Stone House in 1885. Star Lodge sole owner since 1927. One of oldest extant buildings in town, built early 1790s on land Charles Washington sold to John Locke; family owned until 1878. Listed on National Register, 2000.
Star Lodge No. 1. Star Lodge No. 1, Free and Accepted Masons was chartered in 1877 by the Maryland Grand Lodge. The Lodge exemplifies the fraternal brotherhood and institutional growth of African-Americans in Charles Town and the state. It traces its origins back to the African Lodge No. 459, organized by Prince Hall in 1787, and is one of the oldest non-secular African-American organizations in West Virginia.
Erected 2003 by West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWest Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1558.
Location. 39° 17.225′ N, 77° 51.706′ W. Marker is in Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on South Lawrence Street, 0.1 miles south of West Washington Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the lawn, north side of the Old Stone House. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Thomas Marker (a few steps from this marker); Martin Robinson Delany (a few steps from this marker); Charles Town Schools (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Brief History of the Old Presbyterian Church in Charles Town (about 400 feet away); Williams House (about 400 feet away); Etter Hall (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Etter Hall (about 500 feet away); Office of Charles Washington (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles Town.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,517 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on November 19, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on May 21, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on August 21, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on May 21, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4. submitted on August 21, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5. submitted on May 21, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.