Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lebanon in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Lewis House

 
 
The Lewis House Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
1. The Lewis House Marker (Side A)
Inscription.  
Side A:
The William C. Lewis House sits on lot No. 49 of the original 1802 plat of Lebanon. The owner of a dry goods store on the corner of Mulberry and Broadway, Lewis built the Greek Revival house in 1846. The veranda was added around 1900. The cottage to the left was built in the 1860s as an office for his son-in-law, Dr. W.G. Goodhue.
(continued on other side)

Side A:
(continued from other side)
Ezra Craver, a builder in Lebanon since 1835, was the contractor. Known locally for taking liberties with classic designs, his interior “Lebanon” cherry staircase post is said to be unique. The house was the home of Lewis's immediate family for over 125 years, ending in 1972 with the death of his daughter, Hazel Lewis Brookes.
 
Erected by Lebanon Rotary Club.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Rotary International series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1802.
 
Location. 39° 26.059′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 84° 12.335′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Mulberry Street and Cherry Street, on the left when traveling east on Mulberry Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lebanon OH 45036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. I.O.O.F. Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mary Ann Klingling Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); General O. M. Mitchel (about 400 feet away); Van Sickle House (about 400 feet away); United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Ferguson House (about 400 feet away); Bundy House (about 400 feet away); The Wood Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
 
The Lewis House Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
2. The Lewis House Marker (Side B)
The Lewis House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
3. The Lewis House and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,017 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24784

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024