Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Patterson in Putnam County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Presbyterian Church

Patterson 200 Years

 
 
The Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, November 10, 2009
1. The Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  
The Presbyterian Church
(Of Patterson / Pawling)
Present Structure, 1838


This beautiful building is the third church of the Presbyterian Congregation in Patterson. The first, often referred to as “The Old Meeting House” was located west of here, on top of the hill, north of the Triangle Inn Corner. It was established by tenants on Philipse land, settlers from Connecticut, and is probably the meeting house referred to in the description of the Prendergast Rebellion of 1766 in Pelletreau’s “History of Putnam County.” The second building was begun in 1794 on the land purchased by the trustees of the church from Thomas Townsend in 1793. This purchase included one acre south of the road, where the present Fellowship Hall and the Grange Hall are located, and a quarter acre adjacent to and north of the Episcopal cemetery. Additional land was obtained at that time from Stiles Peet and his wife, Lydia, on which the present building would be located. Matthew Paterson was an Elder of the church and Colonel Henry Ludington was a Trustee. The colonel and his daughter, Sybil, are
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
buried in the church yard.

This second building, which was finally completed in 1808, was demolished in 1838 when the present building was erected in a period of growth and optimism. Reverend Epinetus P. Benedict, the minister of the church at this time, served for forty years during a period of great changes to the town. Born in Connecticut, he worked and married in the South before he became pastor of this congregation in 1827. His influence on the church and his Southern sympathies can be seen both in the design of the church building, which is unusual for this area (and more typical of the South), and in that there is no mention in the Session records of anything to do with the Civil War although his son, Platt Benedict, served as a Union officer.

Additions have been made to the building since 1838 including one bay and the beautiful and rare wooden ceiling. The church bell and yoke were purchased and installed in 1846 and the apse was added on the rear around 1868. The organ pipes, which were installed around 1900, were removed in the 1950s.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
 
Location. 41° 30.842′ N, 73° 36.71′ W. Marker is in Patterson, New York, in Putnam County. Marker is on New York State Route 311, 0.1 miles east of
The Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, November 10, 2009
2. The Presbyterian Church and Marker
Maple Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Located in front of the Presbyterian Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Patterson NY 12563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fellowship Hall (a few steps from this marker); Patterson Grange No. 939 (within shouting distance of this marker); Maple Avenue Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Ludington Graves (within shouting distance of this marker); District School No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Patterson Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Patterson.
 
Also see . . .
1. Patterson Historic District 1. Historic Patterson, New York website entry (Submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.) 

2. The Patterson Community Church. Church website homepage (Submitted on November 25, 2009.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 839 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24809

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2024