Brownwood in Brown County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Rufus F. Hardin High School
Classes were held for a time in Lee Chapel Church at Cordell and Hendrick Streets. A two-story building at Cordell and Beaver Streets was later used as a school, as was Emanuel Chapel Methodist Church on Bailey Street. After a schoolhouse burned in 1917, a new structure was built and Brownwood Colored School opened with three classes and an auditorium to serve ten grades. The first graduating class (1918) had five members. The school was renamed to honor Hardin in 1934. Grades nine through twelve were integrated in Brownwood in 1955 and the school became Hardin Elementary. All grades were integrated by 1966. This facility housed a head start program from 1966-70 and has not been used for classes since.
Hardin High School is a one-story stone building exhibiting detailing characteristic of the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. Detailing includes rough-face, squared stonework and deeply recessed windows. The symmetrical front facade features two small rectangular four-pane windows on each side of the stone masonry wall. The focal point of the building is an entry portal that projects approximately two feet from the building's center. Squat piers support a round-topped arch that decorates the entry portal. Stone piers that extend two feet past the roofline flank this section.
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14657.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Architecture • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 31° 43.501′ N, 98° 59.434′ W. Marker is in Brownwood, Texas, in Brown County. It is at the intersection of Hall Street and Almond Street, on the right when traveling south on Hall Street. The marker is located in front of the old high school building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1009 Hall Street, Brownwood TX 76801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Big Country. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Comancherνa, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Rufus F. Hardin Museum (here, next to this marker); Lee Chapel A.M.E. Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Emanuel Chapel United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); J. A. Walker House
(approx. 0.6 miles away); R. B. Rogers House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Welcome William Chandler (approx. 0.6 miles away); Brown County Jail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Coggin and Parks Building (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownwood.
Also see . . . A Brief History of R.F. Hardin High School. Brown County Historical Society
In the beginning school was held in buildings and the local black churches. Rufus F. Hardin, an experienced teacher, was contacted several times and encouraged by school officials to come to Brownwood to teach the black children. He came to Brownwood in 1896 and became principal and teacher. He taught school in buildings located at the corner of Cordell and Hendricks streets and Beaver and Cordell streets. The school was referred to as the "Cordell School." The grade level of the School Was six and later extended to the 8th. During the early stages of the development of the school, there were only 2 teachers.(Submitted on June 8, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2024. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

