Elloree in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Shiloh A.M.E. Church
This church, founded in 1886, was organized by Revs. D.A. Christie and C. Heyward with Sol Ellerbe and Galas Culay, Walter Montgomery, and Henry Tilley as stewards. Its first services were in a brush arbor, and its first sanctuary was built nearby in 1887. This sanctuary, a frame building later covered in brick veneer was built in 1892.
Member Robert Lee Williams (1862-1949) was a community leader and progressive farmer. When he died at the age of 87 Elloree businesses closed in his memory and the New York Times called him "generally and sincerely mourned." The church also hosted numerous meetings during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 60s seeking to desegregate local schools and businesses.
Erected 2003 by Williams-Waymer-Carrion-Murray Family Reunion. (Marker Number 38-28.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ⛪ series list.
Location. 33° 31.622′ N, 80° 34.671′ W. Marker is in Elloree, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on West Cleveland Street (State Highway 47) near Church Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elloree SC 29047, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Snider House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. half a mile away); Santee~Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Good Hope Picnic (approx. 5.6 miles away); Jericho Methodist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Liberty Garden (approx. 6.7 miles away); Shady Grove Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Mt. Lebanon Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elloree.
Additional keywords. African Methodist Episcopal Church, Black Methodism
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,079 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 26, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.