Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The White Home
Located across East White Street, the White Home sheltered five generations of a pioneer Rock Hill family. George Pendleton White and Ann Hutchinson White made their home here after their marriage in 1838. Most likely, a small house was built on the site and enlarged in stages to become the imposing residence we see today.
Acquired by Historic Rock Hill in 2005, the White Home has been restored to reflect the period of economic prosperity of Rock Hill during the last quarter of the 19th Century. Much of the City of Rock Hill is located on land that was formerly part of the White family farm associated with the house.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
Location. 34° 55.557′ N, 81° 1.333′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of East White Street and South Charlotte Avenue, on the left when traveling east on East White Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rock Hill SC 29730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. East Town Neighborhood (here, next to this marker); Water Trough The "3C's" Railroad (here, next to this marker); Upper Land's Ford Road (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named White Home (within shouting distance of this marker); First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Dr. Arthur Small Rogers (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Episcopal Church of Our Saviour (about 800 feet away); First Presbyterian Church / Church Leaders (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Town Fact (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizen's Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
Also see . . . White House. The White House, formerly a plantation home, now stands within the city limits of Rock Hill. (Submitted on January 30, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. White House
The White House, at the southeast corner of White Street and Elizabeth Lane, is designed in the typical upcountry plantation
Its builders were early Scotch-Irish Presbyterian settler George Pendleton Stuart White and his wife, Ann Hutchison White. While the plantation home was being built, the Whites lived in the first home at the site, the log cabin which stands today at the rear of the big house. The White House kitchen, with its seven-foot wide fireplace, was originally located in the log cabin and was connected to the main house by a narrow brick walk. The cabin remains today as a tool shed.
The White House followed the usual pattern of upcountry plantation homes. It is a frame building. constructed with hand-hewn oak sill, heart of pine weatherboarding, and the wide board floors typical of antebellum houses. The original lattice work on the two front porches was done by hand. Some Victorian scroll work was added in the late 1890s. It was modernized in the early 1920s with electricity and central heating. Although some of the wide floor boarding was removed because it was worn rough, the original boards were saved and are in the attic.
It is apparent that the home has continually had good care. There are no signs of serious
Occupied by five successive generations of the White family, the White house stands in modern, Rock Hill as a reminder of the sturdy Scotch-Irish who brought civilization to the upcountry wilderness. Testimony to the Presbyterian heritage which these settlers brought with them, and which later helped dis-establish the Church of England as South Carolina's state church, is a "Prophet's Chamber" in the house. (The first visiting minister to use the room was Edward Pierpont Bishop in 1838. The room has been described in such present day Presbyterian publications as "The Christian Observer")
The old house also witnesses to the prosperity which eventually came to South Carolina's rugged up country settlers, prosperity which replaced the original. pioneer log cabins with fine plantation homes. Although a number of these tall homes with their double piazzas and sturdy end chimneys still stand as South Carolina Piedmont landmarks, the White House is the only one remaining in the Rock Hill vicinity. It is the town's oldest house. Actually, the house preceded the town, which was not inc~orated until 1870 and whose growth came with the spread of the cotton mills in the upcountry.
Growing since as both an industrial and college town, home of the South Carolina College for Women, Winthrop, which has occupied an 80-acre campus within the city since 1895, Rock Hill eventually incorporated the White House lands and home within the town boundaries.
In 1852, Rock Hill was merely a depot on the new Charlotte Columbia Railroad. By 1861, the village was still nothing more than a sprawling country crossroads, a center for shipping local products, chiefly cotton, which came in wagon loads from plantations like White House. During the War Between the States, Rock Hill became a point of transfer for Confederate troop and military supplies. Although only a slight skirmish occurred within the village, when a detachment of Stoneman's cavalry came down from Charlotte, White House family legend recalls that the plantation home was spared destruction when Mrs. White showed her husband's Masonic ring to the Union lieutenant, also a Mason who was in charge of the troops which came to White House. Family stories also tell how the White House served as a haven for refugees fleeing the low country in advance of Sherman's forces. Mrs. Wade Hampton is said to have been an overnight visitor there. The old house also sheltered many weary Confederate soldiers returning to their homes after the war.
A memento which reflects the controversial tariff and nullification years and which tells of their importance in South Carolina is the "Nullification Quilt" still in the White family's possession. This quilt was made in the l830s, when the ladies of the area resolved to buy no more imported goods and to make all of their clothing on their own spinning wheels and hand looms. Bringing samples of this work to the White House, the ladies pieced together a quilt. This they called the "nullification quilt," and it may be seen at the old home today.
George White, builder of the old home, died in 1849, leaving his widow and four children: Andrew Hutchison, James Spratt, Mary, and Mrs. Addie Witherspoon. Mrs. White died in 1880, at the age of 75. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted January 31, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 960 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.