German Village in Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Historic German Village
Circa 1871
Erected by German Village Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 39° 56.922′ N, 82° 59.61′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. It is in German Village. It is on Mohawk Street north of Alexander Alley, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 682 Mohawk St, Columbus OH 43206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Ohio’s Scioto Valley. It is also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Historic German Village (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Historic German Village (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Historic German Village (about 500 feet away); Year of Construction Early 1900s (about 500 feet away); Circa Mid 1888 (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Historic German Village (about 600 feet away); Circa 1864 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Another marker is no longer nearby. St. Mary Church (was about 500 feet away but has been confirmed missing).
Also see . . . German Village Historic District (PDF). National Register of Historic Places nomination for the district, which includes this property and was listed in 1974. (Prepared by Gretchen Klimoski, Ohio Historical Society; via National Archives) (Submitted on June 9, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2024. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

