Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Great Falls Line
Erected by The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park - Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad series list.
Location. 38° 52.386′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bluemont Junction (here, next to this marker); Rosslyn Station (here, next to this marker); Bluemont Junction, ca. 1934 (a few steps from this marker); Tracks into History (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Outpost (about 700 feet away); Reevesland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mary Carlin House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Southern-Shreve Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a picture of a train on the Great Falls Line captioned, “A small steam locomotive stops at Cherrydale in Arlington, along GF&OD around 1908.” The marker also has portraits of John R. McLean and Sen. Stephen Elkins. A small inset reproduces an advertisement used for the W&OD describing services to Great Falls.
This marker is one of a standard set used along the trail, and is duplicated elsewhere.
Also see . . . Great Falls and Old Dominion Line. Wikipedia entry, with a rather detailed listing of stops along the line. One section of the old railroad was converted to the present day Old Dominion Drive. (Submitted on November 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,495 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.