Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The first Rosslyn Terminal dated from 1906, with the establishment of the Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad. That line ran from Georgetown in Washington northwest through Virginia to the falls of the Potomac River.
Streetcars often shuttled passengers from the railroad's eastern terminal in Georgetown across the bridge to Rosslyn. There passengers boarded cars - the most modern electric equipment of the day - and continued their journey up the steep bluffs and through the Virginia countryside.
In 1911 the GF&OD became the Washington & Old Dominion Railway. The new company took over the former Southern Railway Bluemont Branch, bringing still more passenger business to Georgetown. Rosslyn became the railroad's center of operations.
Erected by The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park - Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad series list.
Location. 38° 52.384′ N, 77° 7.956′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from North Manchester Street, on the right when traveling north. Located in the W&OD Regional Trail Park, adjacent to the Four Mile Run City park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bluemont Junction (here, next to this marker); The Great Falls Line (here, next to this marker); Bluemont Junction, ca. 1934 (a few steps from this marker); Tracks into History (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Outpost (about 800 feet away); Reevesland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mary Carlin House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Southern-Shreve Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photo of Rossyln in about 1909. The GF&OD platform and trolley are at left; at right is the station of a rival line, the Arlington & Falls Church Railway. An inset photo on the upper right is captioned, Built by the Washington & Old Dominion Railway in 1923, the expansive Rossyln Terminal was torn down in 1939 to make way for roads.
Also see . . . Great Falls and Old Dominion Line. Wikipedia entry, with a rather detailed listing of stops along the line. One section of the old railroad was converted to the present day Old Dominion Drive. The Rosslyn Station stood where the modern Key Bridge Marriot Hotel stands today. (Submitted on November 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,133 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.