Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Liberty Hill in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Rock House Community

 
 
Rock House Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
1. Rock House Community Marker
Inscription.  

A pioneer agricultural community of Williamson County, this site was first settled in the late 1840s by Uriah H. Anderson, a native of Tennessee who received a land grant here from the state of Texas. By 1857 a rural school was in operation and classes were held in the Bethel Church Sanctuary. The settlement was named for the stone structure, which was known as the Rock House.

Another church, Macedonia which later became a missionary Baptist congregation, was organized in 1873. Early services and camp meetings were conducted in a tabernacle. The settlement also included a general store started about 1885 by T.C. Sowell. The village was later the site of a grist mill, a blacksmith shop, an active farmers union, and a string band. A post office was opened in 1890 under the name of Draco, an Indian word for the area meaning “Favorite Place”. It closed two years later.

The school continued until the 1940s when it was consolidated with Liberty Hill (5 mi. SW). The general store, later owned by other residents of the area, was in operation until 1960. All that remains of the original townsite is the Rock
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
House Cemetery and the evidence of early buildings.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9329.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
 
Location. 30° 42.293′ N, 97° 52.332′ W. Marker is in Liberty Hill, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 3405 near County Route 257, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty Hill TX 78642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fore Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Williams-Buck Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of Loafer's Glory Apostolic Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Manuel Flores (approx. 3.9 miles away); Liberty Hill Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Stubblefield Building (approx. 4.1 miles away); Liberty Hill Masonic Hall (approx. 4.1 miles away); Union Hall Independent Missionary Baptist Church of Christ (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty Hill.
 
Also see . . .  Rock House, Texas. Williamson County Historical Commission (Submitted on April 1, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.) 
 
Rock House Community Marker Vicinity image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark, July 5, 2009
2. Rock House Community Marker Vicinity
Old Rock House Community building near Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
3. Old Rock House Community building near Marker
Old Rock House Community building near Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
4. Old Rock House Community building near Marker
Stone Wall Near Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
5. Stone Wall Near Marker
Evidence of early Rock House Community buildings?
Old Rock House Community building near Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
6. Old Rock House Community building near Marker
Old Rock House Community building near Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
7. Old Rock House Community building near Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,632 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on July 5, 2010, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 15, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture of Rock House Cemetery, mentioned on the marker. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24935

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024