Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. James Church

 
 
St. James Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, June 28, 2007
1. St. James Church Marker
Inscription.  

First Episcopal services in Taylor were held 1878 by the Rev. E. Wickens, a missionary. Visitations were also made by the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas. Services were in homes and opera house. This church of cypress, oak and pine woods was completed 1893, in traditional cruciform plan.

The organ installed in 1914 is still in use. The structure retains original stained glass windows and interior paneling.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9334.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
 
Location. 30° 34.376′ N, 97° 24.898′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 612 Davis St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tucker-Smith House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Doak Home (about 500 feet away); The Taylor Public Schools (about 700 feet away); The Tenth Street United Methodist Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Taylor (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Taylor (approx. ¼ mile away); Wedemeyer Hospital Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Birthplace of Governor Dan Moody (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
 
Also see . . .  St. James Episcopal Church. Photos of the exterior and interior of church, including the organ installed in 1914. (Submitted on April 1, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.) 
 
St. James Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, June 28, 2007
2. St. James Church and Marker
St. James Church Organ image. Click for full size.
3. St. James Church Organ
Photo courtesy of and used by permission of Terry Pierce at St. James Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 962 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   3. submitted on April 8, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24939

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024