Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Gabriel Lodge No. 89, A.F. & A.M.
Organized in 1851, three years after the creation of Williamson County, San Gabriel Lodge No. 89 was chartered in January 1852 with John T. Cox, a Methodist minister from South Carolina, as Worshipful Master. The lodge grew rapidly with the new county seat. An Eastern Star Chapter was formed and met in the Masonic lodge. San Gabriel Lodge No. 89 assisted in laying the cornerstone for the state capitol building in Austin in 1885. The lodge has long been involved in such Williamson County matters as public education, its members serving on the board of education as well as in the roles of superintendents, teachers and patrons. One hundred and forty-eight years after its inception, San Gabriel Lodge No. 89 continues in the traditions of its founders.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12306.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1852.
Location. 30° 38.947′ N, 97° 40.063′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 N College St, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Gabriel Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Williamson County Jail (approx. 0.8 miles away); Iota Chapter (approx. 0.9 miles away); XI Chapter Kappa Alpha Order (approx. 0.9 miles away); C.B. and Lilburn Atkinson House (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. one mile away); Site of Marshall-Carver High School (approx. one mile away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 900 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on July 8, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.