Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Garrison of Fort Jackson
Erected by Coastal Heritage Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 32° 4.918′ N, 81° 2.209′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. It can be reached from Fort Jackson Road. North (left) off of Presidents Street, Islands Expwy (US80) at Woodcock Street , east (Right) off of Woodcock Street onto Fort Jackson Road,Located at Old Fort Jackson. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Coastal Plain and on the Georgia Coast and the Golden Isles. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Deep South, and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Republican Blues (a few steps from this marker); Fort James Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); Construction of Fort Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); 1873 Shell Magazine (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort James Jackson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Napoleon 12-Pounder Field Gun Model 1857 (about 300 feet away); CSS Georgia: The "Ladies' Gunboat" (about 300 feet away); Pine Gardens and Savannahs Defense Community (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.

Photographed by Mike Stroud, November 29, 2009
11. Fort Jackson Demi-Bastion, north wall
This is one of four "demi-bastions" in
Fort Jackson. They were designed to
protect the Fort's walls by firing into
the flanks or sides of attacking troops.
This demi-bastion had a 32-pounder
cannon on a casemate carriage. It sat
upon a wooden platform. Cannons were
never mounted in the remaining three
demi-bastions.

Photographed by Mike Stroud, November 29, 2009
14. Fort Jackson Officers' Privy
This aera was the Officers' Latrine or
"Privy Vaults" and was located behind
the planned,but never built, Officers'
Barracks. The Enlisted Latrines were
located to the left and right of this
latrine. The lower openings in the brick
wall connect to the outer moat; as the
tide filled the moat, water flowed into
these basins cleaning out the waste.
These were in effect flushing toilets.
An enclosed wood and brick structure
originally stood over these basins.
Air shafts rising within the walls provided
ventilation.

Photographed by Mike Stroud, November 29, 2009
16. Fort Jackson Enlisted Privy
Located here was one of two latrines
or "privy vaults." The other enlisted
latrine was located where the modern
restroom facilities are built. The lower
openings in the brick wall connect to
the outer moat; as the tide filled the
moat, water flowed into these basins
cleaning out the waste. In effect these
were flushing toilets. An enclosed wood
and brick structure originally stood
over these basins. Air shafts rising
within the walls provided ventilation.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,484 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on November 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.












