Near Bankersmith in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tunnel of the Fredericksburg & Northern Railway
In 1913 area residents raised money to build a railroad linking Fredricksburg to San Antonio. The 920-foot tunnel beneath this hill increased the cost by $134,000 and required five months of hard labor. It opened a faster trade route for area merchants and farmers. Each time passenger trains entered the tunnel, small rocks, loosened by engine exhaust, were removed from the track and the windows closed to keep out coal smoke. The railroad operated until 1942 when the trackage was sold for scrap.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5568.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 30° 6.092′ N, 98° 49.249′ W. Marker is near Bankersmith, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Old San Antonio Road and Alamo Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10619 Old San Antonio Rd, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welcome to the Old Tunnel Ferdinand Hohenberger Farmstead (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Grapetown School (approx. 3.2 miles away); Luckenbach (approx. 6.6 miles away); Engel Family (approx. 6.7 miles away); Luckenbach School (approx. 7 miles away); Pinta Trail (approx. 8.6 miles away); The Easter Fires (approx. 9.3 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is located in a small parking area off the road. Some maps refer to the road as "Old San Antonio Rd" while others refer to it as "Old Fred Road" (likely shortened from Old Fredricksburg Road) The entrance to the parking area is right at the intersection of this road and Alamo Road.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2009, by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,446 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 30, 2009, by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. 2. submitted on February 22, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on November 30, 2009, by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. 5. submitted on October 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.