Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Williamson County Courthouse

 
 
Williamson County Courthouse Marker (refurbished) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, February 16, 2019
1. Williamson County Courthouse Marker (refurbished)
Inscription.  

Completed in 1911, this is the fifth courthouse to serve the citizens of Williamson County. It was designed by the Austin architectural firm of Charles H. Page & Bro. Although some of the building's detailing was removed in the 1960s, it remains a fine Classical Revival structure featuring giant order Ionic columns and a copper dome with four-faced clock and a Justice statue. It serves as a focal point for Georgetown's town square.
 
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13880.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
 
Location. 30° 38.212′ N, 97° 40.653′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 710 South Main Street, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Williamson County (here, next to this marker); George Washington Glasscock, Sr. (here, next to this marker); Ku Klux Klan Trials
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Jones Rivers (within shouting distance of this marker); Farmers State Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Lesesne-Stone Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert McAlpin Williamson (1804-1859) (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Greenleaf Fisk (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Also see . . .  Williamson County Courthouse History. Shortly after Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836, settlers began establishing county governments and the need for centralized meeting places became apparent. The Texas county seat and its central courthouse filled this role, becoming the symbol of independent self-government in Texas. (Submitted on May 15, 2011, by Wayne Ware of Georgetown, Texas.) 
 
Williamson County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, November 25, 2007
2. Williamson County Courthouse Marker
Williamson County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, February 16, 2019
3. Williamson County Courthouse Marker
Williamson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, November 25, 2007
4. Williamson County Courthouse
Williamson County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sharon N. Goodman
5. Williamson County Courthouse Marker
This photo shows a previous renovation of the courthouse and grounds.
Williamson County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, February 16, 2019
6. Williamson County Courthouse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,087 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 26, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas.   2. submitted on November 30, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   3. submitted on February 26, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas.   4. submitted on November 30, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   5. submitted on January 18, 2010, by Sharon N. Goodman of Round Rock, Texas.   6. submitted on February 26, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25038

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2024