Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Nauck: A Neighborhood History
After the war, the area attracted several families from Freedman’s Village (located near what is now Foxcroft Heights) and other locations. In 1874, John D. Nauck, Jr., a resident of Washington, D. C., bought 46 acres of land in south Arlington and began subdividing it; and the neighborhood Nauck as it is known today began to form.
In that same year, land was purchased for the relocation of the Little Zion Church (now Lomax A.M.E. Zion Church), a congregation that was first organized in the Freedman’s Village in 1865-66. The church building at the new site, which also served as a public school, first opened in 1875 (later known as the Kemper
It was the electric railway, which came to Nauck in 1898 that spurred development of the neighborhood. The Nauck line of the Washington, Arlington, and Fairfax Railway ran parallel to what is now South Kenmore Street and there was a station located south of what is now the intersection of 19th Street South and South Kenmore Street.
The 1902 Virginia Constitution that restricted the rights of black citizens halted the expansion of the neighborhood. The Nauck neighborhood continued to subdivide the land already owned by blacks so that more people could be accommodated, but the neighborhood boundaries remained relatively unchanged.
World War II brought about significant changes to Nauck. Dunbar homes, located at Kemper Road and Shirlington Road, was built during the war on a tract of land that was once owned by Levi Jones and his family. The construction of the Pentagon and its surrounding roads resulted in the destruction of several predominately black neighborhoods in Arlington thereby displacing many people. Some of these people relocated to Nauck as did the A.M.E. Zion Church now on 24th Road South between Glebe Road and Shirlington Road.
Maps from 1952 revealed that a few blocks were still vacant and others were nearly built to capacity and appear much as they do today. The neighborhood of Nauck continues to develop along the lines established many years ago and is a community rich in history.
Text courtesy of Dr. Alfred O. Taylor, Jr.
Erected by Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal Zion (AME Zion) Church ⛪, the NOVA Parks 🏞️, and the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad 🚂 series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1719.
Location. 38° 50.655′ N, 77° 5.147′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Four Mile Run Drive and South Shirlington Road, in the median on South Four Mile Run Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington and Old Dominion Trail (here, next to this marker); Tracks Into History (here, next to this marker); This is W&OD Trail: Shirlington! (a few steps from this marker); Welcome to Jennie Dean Park Welcome to Jennie Dean Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. ¼ mile away); Green Valley Pharmacy (approx. ¼ mile away); Origins (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 4,344 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 14, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. 6. submitted on September 15, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.