Albert Township in Lewiston in Montmorency County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Sachs Hardware Building
One of the most historic buildings in Lewiston, it was brought in pieces by wagon from Otsego Lake Village at the founding of Lewiston and the opening of the M&H Lumber Co. around 1891. Originally the building housed the Otsego Hotel and on the street level, the very popular Corner Saloon, owned by Martin Nelson.
George Sachs came to Lewiston in 1898 as an apprenticed blacksmith from Canada. He joined his brothers Charles and William who were also blacksmiths, and together they serviced the needs of the local lumber camps and mills. In 1910 the Sachs Hardware Company was established which helped bridge the gap in supplying the local community's needs for tools and supplies after the mill was gone and the M & H Company store closed. This business was essential to the struggling village, for many years it provided not only the necessary supplies for subsistence, but also the only telephone in town and the only gas pump. At the time, gas was brought in by wagon in 55 gallon drums and was quite expensive at 18 cents per gallon.
In the difficult times of the 1920's and 1930's when lots of small farms were failing the Sachs' were very generous to the community and kept many families from losing their land. For decades the Sachs' were prominent residents of Lewiston and their presence can still be felt today through the roots of their original business and their generous donation of the family homestead which is now the Lewiston Historical Society Museum. The family successfully ran the hardware business here for 79 years until it was sold to Ron and Gary Haas in 1989.
After the timber was harvested and the principal business in the area turned to agriculture, Sachs expanded into the farm implement business to support the local farmers.
Donated by the Haas Family in memory of Ron Haas.
The Lewiston Heritage Trail is a DDA project funded by private donors with period photos and historical text provided by the Lewiston Area Historical Society.
Erected by Lewiston Downtown Development Authority.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 44° 52.945′ N, 84° 18.315′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, Michigan, in Montmorency County. It is in Albert Township. It is at the intersection of Kneeland Street and Hanson Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Kneeland Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2889 Kneeland Street, Lewiston MI 49756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Northern Michigan Lower Peninsula. It is also in the American Midwest and on the Great Lakes. Globally, it is in North America, the Great North Woods, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Patty Welsh's Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); M & H Company Store and Offices (within shouting distance of this marker); The Quebec Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); First Town Halls in Lewiston (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lewiston House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Lewiston Banks (about 300 feet away); Village Park (about 300 feet away); Rail Roads in the Big Timber Era (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2024. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2024, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 8, 2024, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.




