Albert Township in Lewiston in Montmorency County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Lewiston House
The Lewiston House Hotel stood at this site and was the first building erected in Lewiston by Swan Petersen for the purpose of housing the new mill's workers around 1891. Mr. & Mrs. Petersen became parents to the first baby born here and named her Louise, after their new town.
The building housed a restaurant, kitchen and saloon on the bottom floor. The second floor had bedrooms and a sitting room that opened onto a large veranda overlooking town. The Lewiston House became the center of the community. Conventions, political meetings, birthday parties, dances and holidays were attended and celebrated here.
Swan Petersen was the local baseball team manager and was active in many other business and civic affairs. He died prematurely at the age of 39, the result of a tragic hunting accident in nearby Lovells. His funeral seen from the veranda (photo to the right) was one of the largest in town history. A special train was scheduled from Grayling that day. The procession was led by an honor line of Oddfellows and Rebekahs followed by his black horse pulling an empty buggy. The street had been freshly covered in bark that day and he was buried at the Lewiston Cemetery in 1901.
In 1902 the hotel was quarantined during an outbreak of smallpox. After the M & H Mill shut down, the Lewiston House was abandoned and in 1917 the building became the Town Hall until it was dismantled in 1933 under the WPA work program.
Donated by Kaye & Lee Woodruff in memory of Lynn Biesenthal.
The Lewiston Heritage Trail is a DDA project funded by private donors with period photos and historical text provided by the Lewiston Area Historical Society.
Erected by Lewiston Downtown Development Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 44° 52.955′ N, 84° 18.377′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, Michigan, in Montmorency County. It is in Albert Township. It is on Hanson Avenue west of Kneeland Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewiston MI 49756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Northern Michigan Lower Peninsula. It is also in the American Midwest. Globally, it is in North America, the Great North Woods, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Patty Welsh's Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); First Town Halls in Lewiston (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Lewiston Banks (within shouting distance of this marker); The Quebec Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Village Park (about 300 feet away); The Sachs Hardware Building (about 300 feet away); M & H Company Store and Offices (about 300 feet away); The First Telephone in Lewiston (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2024. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2024, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 8, 2024, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.




