Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church of Florence

 
 
First United Methodist Church of Florence Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 2, 2007
1. First United Methodist Church of Florence Marker
Inscription.  

In 1856, Florence was a small settlement of log cabins and a store or two. It also has a stone building (300 ft. ESE), used as a church and meeting place, on land donated in 1845 by John C. Caskey. Before that time, settlers worshiped in homes and other meeting places.

The Methodist congregation in Florence shared the stone building, just as it shared its pastor. Early Methodist ministers in Texas rode circuits, serving several communities, the Florence mission, part of the Waco district, was at the head of a circuit. In 1858, Rev. John Carpenter was officially appointed to the church as its first pastor.

The congregation bought additional interest in the building, with full ownership in 1910. Members remodeled it and used it until 1924, when they sold it for use as a primitive Baptist church. The Methodist congregation built a new church at this site in 1924 and used it until erecting a brick church in 1968.

Over the years, the Florence Methodist Church has served the community through its organizations. The Home Mission Society, established in 1890, later became the Women's Society of Christian Service.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The Methodist men, in 1957, created a livestock program to raise funds for a new parsonage. Youth groups have also been an important part of the church's mission, with the first junior league established in 1900. The congregation was voted Church of the Year in 1960 by the Central Texas Conference of the Methodist Church. Its name changed in 1968 to the First United Methodist Church of Florence, and it continues to be a vital part of its community.
 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14355.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location. 30° 50.398′ N, 97° 47.471′ W. Marker is in Florence, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Curry Street and S. Love Avenue on E. Curry Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 S Love Ave, Florence TX 76527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Florence (approx. ¼ mile away); Lawler Community (approx. 3 miles away); Andice Baptist Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Prairie View Cemetery (approx. 7.3 miles away); Smart-McCormick Home
First United Methodist Church of Florence image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 2, 2007
2. First United Methodist Church of Florence
(approx. 8 miles away); Briggs State Bank (approx. 8.6 miles away); Mahomet-Sycamore Springs Community (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,205 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on December 2, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25070

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024